UMLAUT BIG BAND
For their new record, the band chooses to focus closer to home, on EARLY JAZZ IN EUROPE (1925-1940). After a meticulous historical research and recording transcriptions, Pierre-Antoine Badaroux and his orchestra built a new repertoire based on the work of European musicians who discovered and took over jazz.
These 17 TRACKS and a FASCINATING BOOKLET (in French & English) tell us the amazing story of the jazz birth in this new territory at a very special time, and brings to life a music that made our jazz history.
Compositions from USSR, Spain or Tchekoslovakia are to be discovered! And maybe, among many others, you will re- discover the swing touch from the British pianist Jack Hylton, the Belgian saxophonist Fud Candrix or Léo Vauchant the French and then Californian trombonist.
The talented and festive 14 musicians of UMLAUT BIG BAND, coming from the new jazz scene (ONJ) and/or from the European improvisation avant-garde (Peeping Tom, Zoor), gathered in 2011 to celebrate with its ecstatic audience the energy of the good ol’ swing bands.
Pierre-Antoine Badaroux : direction and saxophone alto / Antonin-Tri Hoang : saxophone alto et clarinet Jean Dousteyssier, Geoffroy Gesser : saxophone tenor and clarinet / Benjamin Dousteyssier : saxophone alto and baryton / Brice Pichard, Louis Laurain, Emil Strandberg : trumpet / Fidel Fourneyron, Michaël Ballue, Nicolas Grymonprez : trombone / Romain Vuillemin : guitare / Bruno Ruder : piano / Sébastien Beliah : bass / Antonin Gerbal : drums.
RECORDED 23-27.02.2015, at Le Luisant, Germigny-L’Exempt (FR)
MIX AND MASTERING : Ken Yoshida.
GRAPHICS : Sven-Åke Johansson et Dominique Hamot.
1. Veselaja progulka (Jolly Walk) [Alexander Tsfasman]
2. Limehouse Blues [Furber & Braham/Arr. Léo Vauchant]
3. Hot and Heavy [Bob Busby]
4. Hors D’Oeuvres [David Comer/Arr. Sid Phillips]
5. Black & Blue Rhythm [Billy Ternent]
6. Bee-Ology [David Bee]
7. Este año estoy de moda [Luis Bienvenido]
8. Midnight Blues [Jan Šima]
9. Poem [Fibich/Arr. Fud Candrix]
10. Atlantic Stomp [Charles Redland]
11. The Japanese Sandman [Whiting & Egan/Arr. Ray Noble]
12. Palais De Danse [Sid Phillips]
13. Rubbish Heap Blues [Jaroslav Ježek]
14. Rachmaninoff Prelude [Rachmaninov/Arr. Eddy Buttler]
15. Three’s Company [Lew Davis]
16. Oh, What a Funny Feeling [Emile Christian & Emil Stern]
17. Tiger Rag [LaRocca/Arr. Kurt Wege]